Tuesday, January 11, 2011

From the Inside Looking Out

Our family has spent the majority of the last 3 weeks inside our home.  Our whole family had the flu the week before and/or after Christmas.  Thankfully, my mom saved the day!  I don't know what we would have done without her.  We were all miserable and she cooked and cared for all of us while here from CA- I know this wasn't her original plan on how she would spend Christmas but she and my dad both picked up the slack around the house in huge ways.  Dad took our new puppy Lucy out to potty and to walk in the snow several times each day and Mom cooked some delicious vegetable soup, cookies, enchilada casserole, chile soup... If I ever get that stinkin' flu again, I will make sure I get it when mom and dad are around!  Trent and Kate are still pretty sick and in Charlotte, North Carolina, where we MAYBE get one good snowfall a year, it has now snowed twice in the 2 1/2 weeks that both kids have been quarantined to the house.  So NOT fun for them!  So as their friends have "snow days" from school and are out playing in the winter wonderland, Trent and Kate are sitting on the inside of our house, looking out...  Yesterday the snow was beautiful and I let them take Lucy on a walk down the street with me and then play outside for a few minutes.  After the snow, we made "Snow Cream", which may be familiar to anyone who isn't from sunny, southern California but it was totally new to me.  A friend had given me the recipe that morning and it was the perfect treat for an inside day...  In case you've never tried it, here's the recipe:
1 big bowl full of fresh snow
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix together and enjoy!  We made an apple pie to go with our snow cream and they were both a hit!


Enjoying some snow cream!


 We thought the pool cover looked like a snow bunny...


4 inches in one day is a lot for us! 


Trent's 10 minutes of outdoor freedom in the snow.




Notice, I stayed up on the deck to take these pics - such a weenie.  The kids had on enough clothes for entire week so they would stay warm ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment