Tuesday, January 17, 2012

California Christmas

Not sure when (or if) we'll do it again, but this year we thought Christmas was the perfect time to introduce our new gift, Penny Love, to her family in California.  Although we moved to North Carolina six years ago, all of our family lives out in the "OC", so opportunities to be together with everyone are precious.  We did Christmas morning at home on Christmas Eve and this was a perfect year to do it because the big kids both are aware of the "mysteries of Santa Claus" and Penny is too young to know the difference, so we could swing doing presents the day before Saint Nick hit the skies for everybody else.

I have been waiting to get one of these little singing dolls that Penny is holding for over two years - they are so much fun!  This one plays two notes in harmony to one another when you press the tummy.  Secret confessions of a crazy person here.... I have been known to take a detour to the toy aisle at Target just so I can get my hands on these little singing squishes, embarrassing my nine year old and delighting my seven year old with songs as we squeeze their bellies.
Then we were off to California - eight hours of travel early Christmas morning got us to Dustin's sister, Deenean's house by lunchtime!  Trent with his cousin, Gavin.
Kate and Gavin's big sister Savannah...
Penny getting in on the big girl karaoke action...
Dustin getting rare snuggle time with the boy that never stops...
Trent and I checking out his new DS...
Dustin's parents (aka Grammy and PapPap) met us at the airport and took us to Deenean's for Christmas dinner...
Gavin and Penny had skyped several times but Gavin could hardly wait to get his hands on his "baby" cousin...
We spent the next 3 days at Disneyland, staying at the Grand Californian (beautiful hotel!) and the parks were insane!  But we still had a blast just being together...

I think Penny would have preferred to sit in these pint-sized chairs in the hotel lobby rather than hit the parks.  She was in toddler heaven!
Gavin and his daddy on the bumper cars at Disney's California Adventure...
Trent's first taste of freedom on the open road...
Every time I see a picture of the five of us together, I just want to pinch myself.  What a huge and undeserved blessing I have been given in the addition of Penny to our family!
Grammy and PapPap with all the grandkids...

Trent chose to spend his "disney dollars" on a mickey hat and gloves - he's been wanting them for three years and didn't take them off the whole time we were at the parks...
Of course, Grammy had to try them on for size...
Dustin's sister, Deenean, is such a great aunt to the kids.  She always makes them feel special and treasured.  We are blessed to have her in our lives!

Christmas at Disney is so magical - a great way to spend time with family.
Quick, take a picture before this snuggler tries to escape!
We had a special celebration for Kate's 7th birthday at Dustin's sister's house...

And the next morning we were on the road to see my side of the family for Christmas.  My brother, Tom, and his wife, Chiaki, came out to meet Penny from their home in Japan and it was so special to be together with them (because it isn't often!)  Tom took Trent and Kate to the dollar store to pick out presents for everyone in the family as soon as they got to Grandma and Grandpa's house and then spent an hour wrapping all of the gifts.  It was a riot to see what they had picked out for everyone to open - such a fun idea and a great way for Trent and Kate to get to know Tom and Chiaki again...
Penny adored Chiaki right from the start...
We hit a 3rd theme park with my family for a day and Kate took a ride on the wild side with Chiaki...
Chiaki taught us how to make a Japanese version of a wonton - we all thought they were delicious!
My youngest brother, BJ, came by for dinner with his beautiful wife, Lauren.  Lauren, who is a hair stylist and seriously, I'm convinced she never has a bad hair or makeup day, put some pink and blue extensions in Kate's hair for Christmas - Kate is thrilled!
I realized after the fact, that I never got a picture of BJ.  But, he took a terrific picture of our entire extended family (my mom's sister and all my cousins, along with my grandma) at a New Year's party my mom hosted so that the whole family could meet Penny.  It was a special day because I have to prepare myself for the possibility of this being the last time I may see my grandma.  At 93, she is doing remarkably well, but I always have that thought cross my mind.  It was meaningful to me that Penny was able to meet her.

No comments:

Post a Comment