Monday, March 10, 2014

Tween Bedroom Makeover

We don't have much to report in terms of Jack's adoption process. We continue to wait for our Letter of Confirmation from the chinese government, which could take up to 2 more months to receive, and even once we receive that letter, it is approximately 3 months until we travel to bring our little man home.  Best news in all that is - we are looking at traveling some time this summer to bring him home!

I find that when I am waiting or anticipating something to come and the wait is long, a way for me to cope is to set up distractions, projects, and goals to make the wait pass more quickly.  I also love, love, love decorating kids' rooms… I've never met a kid's room makeover that I didn't like.  There is something about the whimsy and spectrum of color that I can use in a child's room that throws out the boring norms in the rest of the house out the window.  So for the past several months, I have been switching rooms in our house to make room for Little Man.

Rosie Posie agreed to switch her room to the former guest room, so this summer while she was away at summer camp, I furiously worked at transforming the once beige and bland room into a tween's playground.  I scoured Pinterest for ideas on how to include her in the process and asked her what color scheme she would like in a new room before she left for camp.  When she returned, we did a few art projects together so she could display her own art in the room.



I started with the color on the walls.  She wanted a "Robin's Egg Blue" and "Bright Purple" theme.  I found the technique for the focal wall in the room here.  After painting the room, I set to work on the curtains.  I found my pattern for sewing the Roman Shade here.  The furniture is a sentimental and equally gorgeous heirloom of my best friend's grandmother back home.


I had an old landscape print in the white frame over her bed when the room was for guests, so I just popped the backing off, put in some purple fabric and hot-glued a sparkly blue monogram K from Hobby Lobby on the front to create the art piece.  I made a few of the pillows on the bed and the rest I found at Home Goods and Hobby Lobby.  The bedspread is an ombre blue from Macy's we found on clearance for $50!   We found a lot of the special table pieces at Hobby Lobby.  The paper lanterns in the corner were a collection from a few leftover party decorations and a few from Target and Hobby Lobby.


This butterfly heart canvas idea was inspired by an idea I found here.  Rosie Posie and I put this together in an evening, using paint chips (free!!).


This art piece is a canvas that we used with a variety of cup bottoms to create the circles… Even little sis got involved on this painting!


The shelves that flank Rosie's bed were already in the room as a guest room on a different wall.  (They used to be white).  I gave them to the girls to paint one evening and then they did the back of both shelves the next morning.  We popped out the ceramic circle insert, painted them blue and placed them back in with some glue.


I sewed a multi-fabric bedskirt to tie in the green with the rest of the room.  Rosie Posie was so surprised when she came home from camp and it was such a fun surprise for a little girl that I am watching become a young lady right before my eyes.  She was so happy with the way the room turned out!
I also painted a space we had in her closet that opens up to a storage area under the staircase and used to store random junk.  We cleared it out while she was gone, gave it a coat of purple paint and I sewed a curtain to hang over the opening.  Now she can sneak with her girlfriends back behind her coats and enter her "special secret space" that is just for her.
I also painted this space behind her closet, under the staircase.  We cleared it out while she was gone, gave it a coat of purple paint and I sewed a curtain to hang over the opening.  Now she can sneak with her girlfriends back behind her coats and enter her "special secret space" that is just for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment